History and traditions

Il lago di Zela

The present area of Querciola in the past (in approximately II century B.C.) probably fell under Roman Centurianship. Some traces still remain between the territories of Pistoia and Florence.

There are still remains of the old road crossing the Quarratina Plain and other precious testimonies of rural buildings still survive in the area.

One of these is the Zela House, a rural building, today recovered for public use, whose oldest nucleus dates back to the Early Middle Ages when it was built for defence purposes (as the turret testifies).

In the 16th Century, as sharecropping became a common practice and living quarters were built on the land holdings, it was demoted to "farm-labourer house".

The turret accommodated the "tall stall", used as a cattle shelter in case of flooding and subsequently a hayloft was added to the building. The "low stall" was built after 1920.

Two rural buildings, called the Querciola Houses, are situated south of Lake Zela. One of these buildings has a turreted factory dating back to Mediaeval times still incorporated in its structure.

Most of the area is cultivated, especially the northern sector, with meadows which are cut twice a year, vegetable gardens, orchards and vineyards.